Sunday, June 27, 2010

Spring and Fall

After reading this poem, I get the idea that the moral of this poem is to tell a child no matter what, there will be changes that they are unable to change. Margaret is grieving over the fact that the leaves are changing and the time is coming for fall. Hopkins tells the child that when he/she gets older, there will be other “sights colder /By and by, nor spare a sigh” (776). However one thing I did not understand is why is it that the child will mourn for Margaret? Is that Margaret the same from the beginning of the poem?

2 comments:

  1. Joe,

    OK start on this post, with some good ideas to explore. You fail to explore them enough in this post, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess that I do not remember this poem, so forgive me if I interpret incorrectly. It sounds almost as if the child, if still the same Margaret, would mourn for the women she will/could become? If Hopkins is inferring that no change cannot be undone/rechanged could he be inferring that some of us, as children, would lament who have changed into?

    ReplyDelete