Sunday, June 27, 2010

John Keats

The feeling that I get when reading Keats works is that somber feeling when someone is about to die. “My spirit is too weak—mortality/ Weighs heavily on me like unwilling sleep” (425). Also “Of the wide world I stand alone and think” (425); this line seems to also reiterate the feeling of death. The feeling I get is that Keats is in a situation where all is doomed and near a loss. There is nothing to do except look the world go by and wait for the inevitable end. I can sometimes feel this feeling of “Weights heavily on me like unwilling sleep” (425), in that when I am uneasy, I am unable to sleep. I have so much on my mind that there is something that stops me from getting any rest and this seems to be what Keats is writing about. No matter what we try to do, there is nothing to stop death “Like a sick eagle looking at the sky” (425).

1 comment:

  1. Joe,

    This is a very short post that tries to talk about a major poet who wrote a whole lot in a short time. With no clear focus on a particular poem, this post does not really make a coherent statement. Be sure always to focus on specifics, rather than on the general, and to say more about less.

    ReplyDelete